torsdag den 9. juni 2011

The Magic of Books ...

If I´m tired, depressed, or need to relax and forget about the world - I find myself reading a magazine, a philosophical text or - even better - a good book! Now a days my reading is more shallow than deep, since so many daily life activities (or, sorry to say, the television..!) occupy my mind. But when I was a child I simply loved reading books and getting deep into fairytale land. It felt as if I were really there and was lifted into another sphere - pure magic :-)

I´ll tell you a funny tale from my childhood; I had a cousin (or rather my mothers cousins son) who was one year older than me. When I was around 6 or 7 years old we visited his family, and I started playing with him. I came across a book for grown ups, called "Manden uden navn", "The man with no name", and started "reading" the story for him. I couldn´t read books at the time, and there was not a single picture in the book, so I just made up a story on my own. This continued for quite some time till my parents called me, since we were going to go home. My cousin found the story so catching, that he afterwards asked his mother to please continue reading the story for him. Which she of course was not able to! ;-) My mother often told me this story with a laughter, since she was impressed that I had managed to make up a story on my own and pretend that I was reading LOL.

The photos are taken by a professionel photographer. Since we didn´t have a camera of our own, my mother took me there once a year in order to have some photos taken. On the first picture I am 9 years old, and on the one below I am 10 years. The books were not my own, but were used by the Studio as a kind of object the child could hold. And the funny thing is, that on the picture below I totally forgot that I was at the Studio to have taken pictures, since I got so lost in the book and started reading it for real ;-D

And by the way I am quite busy, since I only have 40 days left till I have to have finished my first book; Remember the contract, Joan, when you gave me the "The writers guide to crafting stories for children"?? Well, I shall do my very best..! :-DDD

Have a bright week and keep reading ... <3

Photos by Kehlet, Aarhus, Danmark.
Posted by Picasa

3 kommentarer:

  1. The books you find laying around are sometimes the best books to read. You have a few minutes, start to read, and then can't stop.
    In my own mind, I have been studying (thinking about) depression and anger, what it is, and why a good book, or a nice movie can 'cure' it.

    SvarSlet
  2. I love books too, I think they are a wonderful way to let your imagination fly free and your interpretation is unique from anybody else.

    (I see on the previous comment that my husband has found your blog, yey, you have a new reader).

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    SvarSlet
  3. First of all, aren't you just ADORBLE - you look so true to your nature today! And what a skill to have as a child, the story doesn't surprise me one bit. SO.... I absolutely look forward to reading your book!!! Of course you have to honour your gift :-)

    SvarSlet